Creative, driven leader offering a range of accomplishments building and evolving businesses and non-profits utilizing traditional, digital, and grassroots marketing and sales initiatives to reach new heights in revenue, margin, and customer experience. A strategic thinker focusing on the details to ensure excellence of execution. Strong team builder and talent developer leading others to excel. Advanced business acumen, negotiating, and technology skills.
Special Projects Coordinator | LQ Mechatronics | Branford, CT | 2020 – Present
Joined company to expand manufacturing capacity. Established standard tool sets and work spaces for each assembly line. Created detailed, step by step work instructions for over 50 processes. Quadrupled output.
Principal | Eric Murray Creates | New Haven, CT | 2018 – Present
Entrepreneurial venture providing user experience consultation, marketing solutions, branding, content creation and management, and social media strategy. Provide regular reports on campaign success and relevant KPIs.
- Led UX redesign of Q-INMASS ERP software ensuring seamless experience across the platform, coordinating with founders and software engineers to optimize their product through good design as a standard business practice.
Marketing Manager | Electrix Illumination | New Haven, CT | 2016 – 2019
Hired with mandate to relaunch marketing department. Responsible for creation and execution of multichannel marketing strategy. Managed all communications, product launches, media and advertising, event and trade show engagements, sales tools, marketing budget, marketing calendar, and all in-house employees, contractors, and agency relationships.
- DEPARTMENT CREATION | Rebuilt the company’s marketing department from scratch, creating all collateral, product data and images, and other material for hundreds of products to replace outdated resources. Hired employees, created internship program, replaced all vendors.
- WEBSITE INNOVATION | Redesigned and launched five company websites; featured new CMS, UI, photography, and SEO-focused content. Doubled Electrix.com traffic in three months, increased spec sheet downloads 34%, and boosted other KPIs.
- EMAIL MARKETING | Grew email list 1300%. Average open and click-through rates grew to 20%+.
- INDUSTRY RECOGNITION | Earned AIA Advertising Excellence and five GD USA InHouse Design and Agency awards. Earned media in Architectural Record, Snap, Architectural Lighting, and Architect
- EVENT MARKETING | Planned and led participation in numerous high-profile tradeshows and envisioned and ran internal special events. Responsible for 200+ person events at luxury venues including the Ritz Carlton, Philadelphia and theWit, Chicago, including strategy, contracts, budget, venue selection, vendor sourcing and management, promotion, and presentations.
- PRODUCT LAUNCH | Created MagneConnect.com to launch new product. Integrated lead generation tools and gated content for lead capture. Developed video, email campaign, print and digital advertising, supporting collateral, salesman sample case, and a powerful trade show debut leading to $1M pipeline.
Managing Partner | Shoreline Piano | North Branford, CT | 2006 – 2015
Assumed leadership of family-owned, used piano store and grew it to be a major new and used piano retailer with repair and restoration services. Built a cross-functional team of nine with a reputation for sales and service leadership. Responsible for all business functions including sales and sales management, marketing, operations management, P&L management, and accounts payable and receivable.
- SALES & SALES MANAGEMENT | Led team and personally engaged in one-to-one sales activities to increase revenue 20-40% year-over-year, from $375k to peak of $1.2M. Created institutional sales program that grew to 50+ schools and organizations.
- MARKETING | Developed and executed all elements of a comprehensive marketing program encompassing digital (Google Ad Words, SEO, etc), email marketing, social media, direct mail, and special event experiences.
- OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP | Envisioned, implemented and managed in-house services including moving, tuning, repair, and restoration services. Cross-trained team and increased sales 30%.
- LEADERSHIP, TEAM BUILDING & TRAINING | Built a loyal staff with minimal turnover by cross-training employees in sales, service, marketing, and operations. Maintained decade-long record of no layoffs.
- PURCHASING & INVENTORY MANAGEMENT | Negotiated aggressively to make purchases for $300k inventory that would realize 45-55% gross margins while maintaining price leadership for clients.
- P&L MANAGEMENT | Optimized profitability by identifying high-margin opportunities including factory seconds and other opportunistic purchases. Leveraged capital investments and team flexibility / cross-functional skills to maximize ROI in capital and human resources.
- BUSINESS PLANNING | Navigated business growth over 10-year period including expansion from a 2000 square foot legacy storefront into a custom 6500 square foot store and restoration center. Eventually planned for orderly and financially sound wind-down in 2015. Liquidated all inventory. Exited with no outstanding liabilities.
Founder | JM Graphics Group | North Haven, CT | 2003 – 2008
Founded graphic design and marketing firm working with small businesses to establish web presence, create multi-format print ads, and large-format catalogs. Evolved into online retailer with multiple e-commerce sites generating $500k+ annual revenue.
- ROI CREATION | Contributed to significant growth of client businesses including Colony Hardware Supply, a major contractor supply house and Coach Al’s Pursuit Fitness, an online coaching service.
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP | Identified underserved markets in the construction industry and launched three e-commerce web stores and corresponding eBay outlets to fill need.
- GROWTH | Expanded business from home office to 4000 square foot distribution and warehouse facility.
Treasurer | Phoenix Landing Association | New Haven, CT | 2011 – Present
Manage home owner’s association $150k yearly budget.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT | Planned and executing $500k capital improvement project in New Haven Historic District from ideation to completion. Created scope, solicited quotes, secured loan, and now managing the project.
Vice President & Director | Jazz Haven | New Haven, CT | 2011 – 2017
Served the community in volunteer role to bring world-class musicians into greater New Haven. Provided marketing, management, and strategy development skills to engage community, volunteers, fans, and local businesses. Rebranded Jazz Haven with new logo design and website re-launch. Served in various hands-on capacities: festival committee member, communications chair, art director, volunteer coordinator, and program committee member.
- Partnered with the New Haven (NH) Dept of Arts, Culture & Tourism, Jazz Foundation of America, and NH Symphony to expand the Jazz Festival to a full month of programming including three marquee events on the NH Green.
- Elected by board to paid position of Festival Coordinator in 2016. Grew attendance to 9k from previous average of 5k.
- Rebranded Jazz Haven with new logo design and website re-launch.
- Envisioned and launched LIVE @ The Piano Shop series as a partnership between Shoreline Piano and Jazz Haven that ran for 5 seasons starting in 2011. Sought and earned programmatic sponsorship.
- Launched Jazz Haven Sessions in 2017, mentoring new board members in programing, fundraising and marketing. The Sessions, running until 2020, fostered pedagogy that traditionally existed between older and younger musicians.
[food & drink]
Salesperson | The Wine Thief | New Haven, CT | 2020
Front Server, Trainer | Barcelona Wine Bar | New Haven, CT | 2019 – 2020
Head Waiter | The Blue Pearl | New Haven, CT | 2004 – 2006
Wait Staff | Kramerbooks & Afterwards Cafe | Washington, DC | 2001 – 2003
Wait Staff | Coppi”s Vigorelli | Washington, DC | 2000 – 2001
Adept at quickly integrating new technology into a tech stack to create solutions for an organization’s unique challenges.
PC / Mac | MS Office Suite | Google Suite | OpenOffice Suite | Adobe Creative Cloud | Google Analytics, AdWords | SalesForce | Constant Contact | MailChimp | HubSpot | HTML | WordPress | Hootsuite | Unbounce | Social Media | Trello | YouTube | LinkedIn | Slack
Bachelor of Arts, Communication, Legal Institutions, Economics & Government | American University | Washington, D.C. | 2003
Inbound Marketing Certification | Hubspot Academy | 2019
ServSafe Manager Certification | National Restaurant Association | 2019